Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Managing Home Videos

We have a Kodak “Flip”-esque video camera for caputring “video snapshots” at home.
The camera comes preloaded with ArcSoft MediaImpression for Kodak. I use MediaImpression’s Import functionality to import videos (and a few stills) from the camera to %USER_PROFILE%/Videos/YYYYMMDD.

I don’t know what to do with them next, but for now, they sit there. (From my cell phone, I upload to my Youtube account. I could do the same for video files on my desktop.)

I delete files from the mobile device every time I import. This is slightly risky, but it avoids the hassle of juggling lots of old content mixed with new content when I use the device. Also, this is a clear strategy that lets me know the status of each item I’ve captured: not yet imported, imported, or deleted.

It is very important to have a backup strategy in place before we start importing media.
MediaImpression Quirk:  If a media file is open in another application (maybe you are watching it  QuickTime?), MediaImpression will silently fail to delete the file on import, leaving you perhaps confused why one or two files remain on the camera after import. Be confused no longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment